Beginning at 12:01 a.m. Friday, July 3rd, the State of Kansas will require masks or other face coverings in public indoor spaces. Additionally, the Board of County Commissioners of Johnson County voted today to uphold this Executive Order, and they will meet again next week during their regular meeting to discuss “additional concerns”. I’ll do my best to keep you up to date on any changes or clarifications.
As cases of COVID-19 have begun increasing again at an alarming rate, this Order puts the entire KC metro area, Johnson County along with KCK, KCMO, Wyandotte County, and Jackson County, under a mask mandate to slow the spread of the virus in our communities.
Prairie Village is, of course, covered by this, and implementation will be made with the full support of Chief Schwartzkopf, our Prairie Village Police Department, and City Staff.
From City Staff:
The City of Prairie Village has ordered a supply of single-use masks that will be available to local businesses for distribution to customers without masks of their own. The Prairie Village Police Department will also have single-use masks available for individual community members in need of them.
Every person in Kansas is required to cover their mouth and nose with a mask or other cloth face covering in the following situations:
- Inside, or in line to enter, any indoor public space;
- Obtaining services from the healthcare sector in settings, including but not limited to, a hospital, pharmacy, medical clinic, laboratory, physician or dental office, veterinary clinic, or blood bank (unless directed otherwise by an employee or healthcare provider)
- Waiting for or riding on public transportation or while in a taxi, private car service, or ride-sharing vehicle;
- While outdoors in public spaces and unable to maintain a 6-foot distance between individuals (not including individuals who reside together) with only infrequent or incidental moments of closer proximity.
All businesses or organizations must require all employees, customers, visitors, members, or members of the public to wear a mask or other face covering when:
- Employees are working in any space visited by customers or members of the public, regardless of whether anyone from the public is present at the time;
- Employees are working in any space where food is prepared or packaged for sale or distribution to others;
- Employees are working in or walking through common areas, such as hallways, stairways, elevators, and parking facilities;
- Customers, members, visitors, or members of the public are in a facility managed by the business or organization; or
- Employees are in any room or enclosed area where other people (except for individuals who reside together) are present and are unable to maintain a 6-foot distance except for infrequent or incidental moments of closer proximity.
For complete details of Governor Kelly’s order, including exemptions, please see below. You can skip the “whereas”es on page 1 😜, and go straight to page 2 by clicking the down arrow for the details:Kansas-State-EO-20-52-Mask-Mandate
If you don’t have a mask, please let me know. I know of several women who are sewing double-layered cloth masks to giveaway for free, and I can connect you. Maybe they’ll even leave their info in the comments below. 😉
Take care and reach out if you have any questions or concerns,