Hello, Prairie Village neighbors!
If you remember, Prairie Village adopted the 2020 Legislative Platform last Fall, and it’s about that time of year again!
The 2021 Legislative Platform discussion is set to be on a City Council agenda sometime in December, and before that, I’d like to get your input on what YOU think we should communicate to our state legislators as most important for us here in Prairie Village.
On, December 16, 2019, the previous City Council voted 7-6 (with the Mayor breaking a tie) to adopt the 2020 Legislative Platform. Prior to that, at the November 19th meeting during Council Committee of the Whole, the committee made some adds/edits including the topics of:
- Dark Store Theory
- Climate Crisis
- Energy Policy
- State Public Education
Here is a condensed list of the final items on the 2020 Platform (see the 2020 link above for detailed info):
- Repeal Of The Property Tax Lid
- State Funding Of Public Education
- Non-partisan Elections
- Local Gun Control
- Maintain Local Control Of Revenue And Spending
- Limits On Appraised Valuation Growth
- Tax Policy & The Dark Store Theory
- Internet Sales Tax Collections
- Sales Tax Exemption
- Oppose Unfunded Mandates
- Statutory Pass-through Funding
- Abandoned And Blighted Housing
- Comprehensive Transportation Plan
- KPERS Funding
- Kansas Open Records And Open Meetings Act
- Legislative Participation
- Local Control Of Right Of Way
- Addressing The Climate Crisis As Public Policy Priority
- Statewide Energy Policy
- Medical Marijuana
- Statewide Expansion Of Medicaid
- Return State Funding Levels For Social Safety Net
- Development Of A Comprehensive Budgeting Plan
Let me know what your thoughts are on these items and more as we get closer to the end of 2020 and start planning for 2021 based on what we learned this past year. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing from you!
Thank you and stay well!
You must be logged in to post a comment.