One of the most common topics to come up on doorsteps during my campaign last year was the rising property tax costs to everyone in PV, but especially to retired and fixed income homeowners. And those conversations continue on…
The state of Kansas has tax relief programs available that I learned about this year, and I’ve captured the info on two of them that I found in my annual tax bill below. Prairie Village residents meeting a few requirements may be eligible for a property tax refund. There are two programs that I’m sharing today.
Homestead Property Tax Refund
To qualify: as a Kansas resident for all of 2020 who owned and occupied a homestead, you are eligible for a refund of up to $700 if your total “household income” is $36,300 or less, AND you:
- were born before January 1, 1965; OR
- were totally and permanently disabled or blind for the entire year of 2020; OR
- have a dependent child who lived with you the entire year that was born before January 1, 2020, and was under the age of 18 all of 2020; OR
- are a disabled veteran (50% or more disability), or the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran who has not remarried, or the surviving spouse of an active duty military personnel who died in the line of duty and not remarried.
Selective Assistance for Effective Senior Relief (SAFESR)
To qualify: as a Kansas resident for all of 2020 who owned and occupied a homestead, you are eligible for a refund of up to 75% of your property taxes if your total “household income” including social security is $20,700 or less, AND you:
- were 65 years or older all of 2020; AND
- did not have any delinquent property taxes in 2020
Form K-40H is the correct one to fill out for the Homestead refund, but it doesn’t appear to be available for 2020 taxes, yet. I guess it’s a little early. 😉
Form K-40PT is the correct one to fill out for the SAFESR refund, and tax season will be here before we know it, so I’m sure it will be updated too fairly soon.
You may claim one OR the other of these two options, but not both.
You also must apply between January 1, 2021 and April 15, 2021.
I really hope someone finds this useful and takes advantage of this opportunity. We want our senior neighbors to stay in their homes here in PV as long as they want to and not be pushed out by taxes.
I’m no expert on these programs, but don’t hesitate to ask me any questions, and I’ll try to point you in the right direction.
Have a great week. It’s almost December! Crazy.